Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse varius enim in eros elementum tristique. Duis cursus, mi quis viverra ornare, eros dolor interdum nulla, ut commodo diam libero vitae erat. Aenean faucibus nibh et justo cursus id rutrum lorem imperdiet. Nunc ut sem vitae risus tristique posuere.

This is some text inside of a div block.
This is some text inside of a div block.

Problem Tech Solves

Tech Brief

Alio seeks to improve health outcomes while decreasing avoidable healthcare costs. Effective care doesn’t just occur when a patient is at the doctor’s office or dialysis center. To provide better care and close the gap on monitoring dialysis complications, we must create better insights into patient care outside the clinic. This has significant potential impacts in that dialysis-related hospitalizations cost $14B/year in the U.S. About 65% of those hospitalizations are due to vascular access, electrolyte, and/or fluid management issues. Alio offers the potential of an improved solution that could reduce the average of 11 days per year spent in the hospital by dialysis patients. Current dialysis monitoring and remote monitoring technology is unable to provide the requisite monitoring to realize this value. Today’s tools are invasive, expensive, often provide inadequate data, and don’t deliver a positive user experience which impacts patient compliance and attitudes. With the current emphasis on home dialysis, Alio’s Smart Patch can be the safety net for patients at home. Remote monitoring of dialysis patients can be better managed. We recognize it’s time our monitoring approach better accommodate and manage dialysis patient care outside the clinical setting. Existing solutions for monitoring dialysis patients only provide a small sliver of what their day-to-day life looks like while managing their condition.

Tech Differentiators

Dialysis patients deserve better care. Alio believes this is possible by empowering the clinical care team with actionable real-time data to assist in making the most informed medical decisions possible. In addition, the patient engagement that comes with remote monitoring where the patient sees and uses the device will improve the patient experience and adherence. The Alio platform seeks to create opportunities for insight where there weren’t any before. Existing patient monitoring provides metrics for only 15% of a dialysis patient's life. By giving the care team visibility into the other 85% of a patient’s life, Alio may be able to improve care and reduce avoidable hospitalizations. Alio seeks to close the gap on remote patient monitoring through improved design and increased clinical data insights. Effective dialysis patient monitoring is not acute episodic care. Alio wants to make noninvasive remote monitoring part of a dialysis patient’s day-to-day life. Alio aims to contribute to a better dialysis patient experience. Patient compliance and accurate reporting are two of the biggest challenges in healthcare. By offering a noninvasive remote monitoring sensing platform, Alio is able to improve dialysis patient compliance and complete the care continuum.


Alio has secured a 510(k) clearance on its end-to-end platform. All subsequent submissions to expand indications and metrics provided by our platform are effectively software updates to the initial clearance. We have had a call with the FDA regarding our upcoming submission focused on adding potassium, hemoglobin and hematocrit to the platform. During the call, we aligned with the FDA on the clinical validation study design, and regulatory pathway (510k) for the updated product. The Alio platform has been outperforming the standards we agreed upon with the FDA in validation studies, so we expect the upcoming submission to be relatively smooth. Our clinical data to-date on over 300 patients in multiple clinical centers demonstrates Alio has great sensitivity and specificity for noninvasively measuring potassium than a blood draw (which is standard of care).

Why Us